Iced Lemon traybake… some of the sweetest words in the English language. I just love these little evil things. Once you have a piece, you are hooked. By now you’ve probably figured I have a terrible sweet-tooth… so you will have to bear with 😉
This is a very simple recipe by the queen herself, Mary Berry… I worship her! It’s easy to make as you simply mix all the ingredients in one bowl, whisk everything together and voila!
Down to business…
225g butter, softened
225g caster sugar
275g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 Tbsp milk
zest from 2 lemons (I use bergamot whenever I find them, I love the gentle flavour)
3 Tbsp lemon juice
225g sifted icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven at 180˚C/350˚F/Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 12 x 9 in roasting tin.
2. Weigh out all the ingredients into one large bowl and mix well for 2 minutes and all the ingredients are well blended.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and level the top
4. Bake for about 35 – 45 minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed in the centre with your fingertips. Remove from oven and let cool in the tin.
5. As the cake cools, time to make the icing, mix the lemon juice and icing sugar to a runny consistency.
6. Once cake has cooled, spread the icing evenly over the cake. Set a side to let the icing set.
You can divide the cake into small squares, or whatever shape you fancy… after all, it is your cake 😉 This iced lemon traybake is perfect for bake sales, or potlucks. You can also serve it when you have friends over for afternoon tea… you know, those times you pretend to be posh 😉